How might I...
Staying creatively limber.
Taking a few moments each day to stretch our imagination can help to keep us flexible and ready for creative challenges that face us. Below is a simple 10-minute creative exercise you can do by yourself or with others. Quickly read through, get set up, then press the button above to get started!
Setup for the 10-minute challenge
Get a friend or two to join you and grab a few materials lying around--you can stick with a pencil and paper, but might I suggest:
For Round 1
- Timer (phone, microwave, etc.)
- Sticky notes (a pad for each person)
- Writing utensils
For Round 2
- Cotton balls
- Rubber bands
For Round 3
Let's do it!
Round 1: Rapid fire ideation (~2 minutes)
- Press the Generate Prompt" button.
- Note as many ideas as possible (one per sticky note!), sharing as you go.
Round 2: Develop a concept or two (~5 minutes)
- Combine like ideas into groups
- Group, rank, and combine ideas into concepts, creating physical representations or drawings.
- Create: How might you combine different groups to create a bigger idea? If you ranked idea groups, which one is the safest vs. most outlandish? How might the presence or absence of technology change things?
Round 3: Reflect (~3 minutes)
- Discuss: What surprised you? What was fun or frustrating? Did you get stuck--why? What would you need to make some of your concepts work?
- Take photos of your brainstorm and concepts for posterity...and share with the tag #creativewarmup!
Have a "how might I" creative prompt to share? Submit it with your email or Twitter handle for a proper thank you!